Friday, April 12, 2013

Dressing up!

Back when I was in highschool I was obsessed with Chinese, Japanese, Korean culture. I loved the history, the landscape, their writing system everything! So my room was like a Chinese shrine! I had all kinds of stuff in there but the one thing I liked the most was a dresser that my mom had gotten for me at a auction. It was red scuffed up and had Chinese(or Japanese ) symbols for drawer knobs. Now that I'm older and have my own place I don't have as much of that stuff anymore, but I do still have the dresser. I thought it was time to fix up the ol' dresser and give it new life.



In this picture I had already started stripping the red paint off but you can still see the red paint that was on it. To strip it I used paint stripper, a putty knife and some steel wool. The paint was pretty old so it didn't take much to get it to come off. I was really surprised how nice the wood was underneath the paint, after all the red paint was off I rubbed it down with some paint thinner and let it dry. I then put some wood stain on it and some clear coat and it now looks like this.


In this picture the roller wheels are still on it but I ended up taking them off. For a old dresser I think it cleaned up nice :).

2 comments:

  1. Looks so grown up now! And those handles are amazing, what a cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete