Tuesday, April 2, 2013

You may call me Maverick!

Well I have started another project (well sorta) This one I have been wanting to do for a while but I never got around to it.




This is a MIG-15 flight suit headset helmet. I bought my helmet a little before Halloween because Dylon and I one night were playing Battlefield 3 at his house. We were in the jets taking down every enemy we saw, then two pretty decent pilots got in the other teams jets and were quick on our tails. Next thing I know Dylon's girlfriend starts playing Danger Zone (the Top Gun movie theme song) we got into the zone, one of them was behind me and the other behind Dylon. I was able to shake the one that was on me and I did a quick turn around got behind him and it was all over, quick shots of the machine gun on my jet and he went up in flames. I quickly circled around to check on Dylon and then it happened, I saw the shots the smoke and the fire I yelled out NOOO GOOSE!!! and Dylon started laughing. It was quite dramatic but extremely funny we felt like we were in the movie. 


Anyways back to the helmet. I bought this because after that night we decided to be Maverick and Goose for halloween (my family has a huge haloween party every year) but my wife and his girlfriend decided we would all go as batman characters, so I've had this helmet laying around for a while.



This is a cheapo Xbox Live headset that I just bought off eBay.

Do you see where im going with this now? Yep I will be gutting the headset out of the MIG-15 skull cap and putting the inner workings of this cheapo headset into it! I just won the auction for the headset so once it gets here I will be starting with this project so keep checking back.


EDIT:

Well I started cutting into the flight suit helmet to get the existing headset out so once my cheapo headset gets here I can start putting everything into the helmet.



First i needed to get on the inside of the helmet without it being noticeable. In the picture above I decided that going through the ear pieces would be the best option, so I grabbed my box cutter and started cutting. There were about three layers I had to go through, the first layer was the tan leather type of material then a flat piece of metal that made the ear piece solid and has the arm that holds the microphone on and then a thin layer of green fabric that looks like the fabric on the outside. This below picture is of all the layers including the speaker.



After I got both sides open it was time to get the existing wires out of the helmet. Below you can see the wires for the speakers.


In total there were about four wires on the inside. I would have left them in there but they took up all the space in the tunnels that were made when the helmet was sewed together, and I needed all that space so I could run the new wires from the new headset through them. My cheap-o headset should be here tomorrow so as soon as it gets here I will post some pictures of my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment