Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A simple set of chairs

Hello again. A while back my grandfather gave me a set of chairs that were left in the garage of his rental property. They were in pretty rough shape and he was going to throw them out, he asked me if I wanted them so I went to take a look and see what I was working with. They were dusty, covered in cobwebs and had a bit of mold on them. I put them in my truck and brought them on home. After cleaning them up they didn't look as bad as they did but they needed a overhaul for sure. At first I was going to strip them all and stain them again but after seeing how hard it was to get the original stain off I decided to sand down the seat and the back piece.


At this point in the picture I had already started sanding. The back part of the seat that is already sanded down was really easy to clean up, but the seat bottom was not as easy! I popped out my orbital sander and went to town.



Now that I have the seat bottom and back sanded down I needed to figure out what to do with the legs and poles on the back. I tried sanding but that stuff just wouldn't come off, So I looked around the man cave and found two types of paint. Flat black and gloss black, so I tried both of them.
At first I thought that the flat black would look better, but after the paint was on the gloss was by far the better choice. I taped everything up and went to town. I dont have a picture of that step, but I do have 3 more chairs to do so when the time comes that I decide to work on them I will snap some pictures.



All painted and looking good! I love the way it turned out. After I finish the other three I'm going to see if the wife will let me swap them out for the chairs at our dinner table.
The final product after I put some clear coat on the black.

As of right now its all done, but I'm still trying to decide if I want to put clear coat on the bare wood or not, I like the natural look.

As a side note I have been looking around on Betterafter.net and I have seen where people paint from the bottom of the legs to about the middle of the leg. I think I may get some gold paint and try it out and then maybe paint some gold rings on the poles on the back of the chair to see what it looks like. I will update this thread with new pictures if I do it.

5 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the black and light color wood. Looks great! Visiting from Second Chances (http://secondchancesinpa.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the clear coat prevent the black from the bottom of the legs from leaving marks on the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clear coat gives it the shine plus protects the paint from scratches. It may keep the black off the floor though.

    ReplyDelete