Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Modded controller!

Here lately I've gotten into modding video game systems, and by modding I mean making the most of the time bland cases look better! This was my first try with modding so I figured I would start with something small. I had a plain white Xbox 360 controller that showed every speck of dirt or grime, I decided it was time for the white to go! First thing I did was decided what color would look good, I wanted something dark with a glossy finish so I headed on over to the closest advance auto parts in town to look at some paints. They had tons and tons of different colors, I looked for a while and had the choice between two different colors. Both colors were factory paint colors that came on Honda's one was a dark metallic blue and the other was black with blue pearl flakes in it. I went with the black with blue pearl and picked up some high gloss clear coat to go with it and headed on home.

Once I got home it was time to take apart the controller so there would be a bare shell.

The security screws they use can be a total pain! but I have figured out a way past them as the little prong in the middle is very weak, just find a very small flat head screwdriver and pry on the prong in the middle of the screw and it will snap off. Then all you have to do is use the right size Torx screwdriver and its as simple as that.

Here are some pictures after it was painted.
To paint it all I did was mix some soap and water in a bucket and then washed it really good to make sure no grease or oils were on it. Then I sprayed some primer on all of it waited for it to dry then sprayed a light top coat of the paint, after it dried really good then I put down a heavy coat of paint to cover the whole controller, after that was dried I wet sanded it to get all of it smooth and then hit it with a few coats of the clear coat. Once I finished painting I put it in my oven on 250 degrees for about 4 or 5 minutes so that the paint could cure, then let it sit over night without touching it. 

The next day I put everything back together and it now looks like this.




Talk about glossy! it was just the look I was going for! I also did the chat pad but I didn't have any before pictures of that.

The next post will be about my first modded Xbox 360 case!

No comments:

Post a Comment